Sunday, August 24, 2008

118th Day in the NICU

Today we Decided not to go to the hospital because he needs one da of rest. We probably should have gone because of the events that transpired. Around 4 am he pulled out his Vent tube and they had to put a smaller one back in because his throat was a bit swollen. His heart rate did not drop so that is a good thing. His CO2 was 94.

I called on him around 9 ish and things were okay from what the nurse told me but when Mom called on him later in the day that is when things got bad. Apparently Dr Ham decided to prescribe him Morphine. Yes you read that right I did say Morphine. Im sorry but morphine is used for the extremely hurting and dieing patients. Dr Ham is one of the ones that gave Drayke no chance of survival on Thursday and also stopped his Respitory CPT Treatment and the inhaled med treatment. When mom found this out she ended up calling me. I called the nurse back and told her under no circumstances should my son be given morphine. Good thing we caught them when they did because they did not give it to him yet.

The Nurse kept telling me that he broke through the versad (sedative) and needed something stronger. Im sorry but there are other things out there besides morphine. I told her that I did not want Dr Ham to touch my son but unfortunately he is the only Dr there so I told her I wanted him to call me if he makes any changes but he would not agree to that. I am so glad that tomorrow Dr Karmo and Dr Hassel has him. I am beyond anxious to hear from St Louis Childrens tomorrow.

We called throughout the evening and he was getting aggravated about having the tube in him but that is to be expected. The night nurse told us that he now weighs 6lbs 13oz. He is up to 43 on his feedings.

No comments: