Saturday, July 12, 2008

75th Day in the NICU Part 1

(Mom)

Drayke is getting his ventalator tube pulled this afternoon. Gods I am a nervous wreck. We have been waiting so long for this. And boy is he ready. He has been pulling at the tube non stop for the last few days. I woke up at 5:30 this morning to call the hospital to see if we were still on schedule. "He had a great night" according to the nurse and the staff knows R & I are wanting to be there when the tube gets pulled.

This means he can finally cry and eat from a bottle or breast. This is a huge day and I cant stop crying. Out of joy. Out of fear. So many emotions are welling up inside me at the thought of my son finally trying to breathe on his own. I know there is the possibility of his going right back onto the vent. Almost definately he will be on a CPAP. But still, this will be the first time since the day he was born that he will be breathing on his own, even if only for a few minutes.

No comments: